Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Info Session Tuesday
Join us for the 2024 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) season! Please attend an informational meeting from 11:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 14, in Clausen Center room 205.
VITA is a national program in which volunteers prepare tax returns for low- to moderate-income families in the Kenosha area. Carthage has participated in this program for 30 years and has helped prepare over 10,000 returns.
This program is open to all majors and is a great way to help the community while gaining valuable experience working with the community. The details include:
- We run tax sites at the Kenosha County Job Center on Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings. There are additional volunteer opportunities on different days and places. We will start at the end of January and run through April 15. Most volunteers attend at least six sessions. We can arrange carpools.
- There is an optional one-credit service-learning course you can enroll in during the spring semester. This will involve a minimum number of volunteer sessions and a weekly reflection blog. The course is not required to volunteer.
- We provide training in January, and you will need to pass an IRS open book exam to volunteer. We will help you through this process.
- A background check is required.
- There are volunteer roles that do not involve IRS certification. You are welcome to start in one of these roles (cannot participate in the one-credit course).
This is an exceptional program that provides a great service to the community while also providing an excellent professional credential to the volunteers.
Sponsoring Department, Office, or Organization:
Finance and Accounting Department
For more information, contact:
Julie Dawson: firstname.lastname@example.org