Associate Director of Web Content
The Office of Marketing and Communications at Carthage College seeks a dynamic teammate to oversee the carthage.edu website and support digital media strategies.
We are looking for a collaborative and adaptable individual who will confidentially direct content on our established website, support our digital media strategies, and take initiative to optimize digital tools based on data and best practices.
You seek an opportunity to have an impact; work with dedicated and creative colleagues; support a thriving college’s recruitment, retention, and fundraising goals; and enjoy a vibrant campus culture — with a great view. Join us at Carthage!
Reporting to the Executive Director for Marketing and Communications, the Associate Director for Web Content:
1. Manages the Carthage College website, steering and shaping the College’s online presence to ensure that strengths, attributes, and programs are clear, accessible, and resonate with all audiences.
- Serves as the chief advocate for an online experience that recruits new students and communicates important information to current Carthaginians, ensuring the website is accurate, engaging, and easy for visitors to find, comprehend, and navigate.
- Strategizes web content priorities in accordance with recruitment goals and marketing plans.
- Generates original content for the College’s website that is consistent with the Carthage brand, voice, and marketing objectives. Assists in the creation of new landing pages; researches and writes profiles, articles, and “listicles” for the website; selects images that captivate and inspire the College’s various audiences.
- Ensures new digital content is published at regular and appropriate times across our website, virtual tour, and other main online marketing channels.
- Supports and maintains advertising initiatives through the creation of advertising landing pages and campaign tracking URLs, providing reports on results as necessary.
2. Analyzes and improves the performance of the Carthage website as the College’s primary marketing tool.
- Serves as the campus’ expert in the College’s content management system, and trains others in its use.
- Ensures website content is optimized to drive traffic through search engines.
- Uses Google Analytics to monitor and analyze site traffic, measure effectiveness, and uncover insights.
- Compiles reports on digital activities that include suggestions for improvements.
3. Supports news and emergency communication efforts as needed.
- Plays a critical role in news and emergency/crisis communications by effectively, carefully, and smartly using online tools to communicate necessary information (such as weather-related event/class cancellations) with the community.
- Serves as a member of the College’s Emergency Preparedness Team.
- Responds quickly to crisis communication needs, including needs that may arise outside of regular business hours.
4. Seeks out, develops and executes innovative website strategies that support the College’s goals in recruitment, revenue, and retention.
- Keeps current with emerging web technologies.
- Is ready to dream up fun projects, brainstorm wild ideas, and imagine absurd possibilities with the full Marketing & Communications team as we tackle the wide variety of projects that come our way.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, communications, digital marketing, publishing studies, English, or a related field.
- At least 3 to 5 years of experience writing, editing, and curating copy for websites and other digital media.
- At least 1-2 years of experience in search engine optimization.
- At least 1-2 years of experience using Google Analytics.
- At least 1-2 years of experience using a website content management system.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Expertise in grammar and AP style.
- Impeccable attention to detail.
- Demonstrated expertise and skill in proofreading and editing.
- Knowledge and understanding of best SEO practices and experience creating optimized web content.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of the principles and methods used to market programs, promote events, and recruit students. Must demonstrate expertise and skill in crafting web copy that drives conversions, using a website content management system, and website accessibility.
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and web analytics.
- Advanced computer literacy, particularly in word processing, using internet resources, spreadsheets, web content management systems, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and project management software.
- Must be dependable, respectful, adaptable, efficient, and personable.
- Must be self-motivated — able to work independently and contribute to a team.
- Strong organizational skills. Must be able to juggle multiple projects, respond to immediate requests, and work in a high-energy, deadline-driven atmosphere. Must be able to keep both small and large projects on track.
- Must employ a deep respect and appreciation for our various audiences, their interests, and media habits.
- Demonstrated ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage constructively with diverse cultures or backgrounds.
Applications must include a cover letter, resume, and three current professional references. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please upload as a single PDF through the “Resume Upload” section of the link below.
Located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the thriving Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, Carthage College blends the best liberal arts traditions with desirable degree programs, transformative learning opportunities, and personal attention from dedicated faculty and staff. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum with stunning lake views, is home to 2,600 undergraduate students and 200 graduate students. Founded in 1847, Carthage is consistently named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton Review and a Most Innovative School by U.S. News & World Report. All Carthage employees play a vital part in the success of our students, as we work together to create an environment where all can achieve their true potential. Grow with Carthage.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.