Carthage College seeks a technical director to support the work of the Carthage Theatre program.
Duties and Responsibilities –
- Collaborate with faculty and student staff to manage the safety, structural, budgetary, and scheduling feasibility of the scenic, property, lighting, and sound designs.
- Supervise technical rehearsals and dress rehearsals.
- Bids, orders, purchases, and follows up on orders of materials, supplies, equipment, and parts for the theater and the theater productions.
- Ensures compliance with all health and safety regulations applicable to the T&D facilities, scene shop, and other spaces and equipment.
- Instructs students in the safe and proper use of shop equipment and in theater production techniques.
- Supervises and participates in the construction, set-up, rigging, painting, finishing, and eventual strike of the scenery and properties.
- Plans and creates the work schedule, including technical drawings, following the production timeline spreadsheet for the department’s technical needs.
- Remains current in knowledge of software programs related to and used in the field.
- Demonstrate collegiality and an ability to build strong working relationships with students, colleagues, and guest artists.
- Able to effectively recruit new students to the program.
- Other duties as assigned by the department chair/dean
- Bachelor’s degree and/or an equivalent combination of education and professional experience.
- Experience preferred.
- Frequently moves items weighing up to 50 pounds for theater set needs.
Located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the thriving Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, Carthage College blends the best liberal arts traditions with desirable degree programs, transformative learning opportunities, and personal attention from dedicated faculty and staff. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum with stunning lake views, is home to 2,600 undergraduate students and 200 graduate students. Founded in 1847, Carthage is consistently named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton Review and a Most Innovative School by U.S. News & World Report. All Carthage employees play a vital part in the success of our students, as we work together to create an environment where all can achieve their true potential. Grow with Carthage.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.