Changing the displayed name in Carthage gmail
When using your gmail account, the name displayed in the email, not the email address itself, may say something that isn’t your preferred name. You may fix this within your gmail account settings by doing the following:
- Log into your Carthage gmail account
- Click on the gear icon (or flower) in the upper right corner of your screen, below your photo
- Click “Settings”
- Click the “Accounts” tab
- Look at the item, “Send email as” section. If it shows anything other than your name, click the “edit info” link at the right. A window will open where you can correct the information.
- Click the “Save Changes” button to exit the window
- Scroll to the bottom of the “Accounts” page and click the “Save Changes” button if it is available
Alternatively, you may change your name via your Google+ account:
- Click the Google Apps icon in the upper right of your gmail screen (it looks like a stack of boxes)
- Click the “Google+” icon
- At the left of the Google+ screen, click the “Home” icon to bring up a drop-down menu
- Click “Profile” from the menu
- Click your name in the big gray square by your photo (or where the photo should be)
- Change your name in the boxes
- Click the “Save” button
It may be a good idea to go to password.carthage.edu and change your password just in case whatever caused your name to be displayed incorrectly is a result of your account being compromised.
If you still need assistance, please call the Hedberg Library Information Desk at 262-551-5950, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those that have had a legal name change and need to change all of their Carthage official records, please contact Carthage College’s Human Resources Department (Business Office) in Lentz Hall and submit an email to email@example.com. Once the HR office has updated your information, the tech side (email address) will be scheduled for an update.
For those that identify themselves with a name that has not been legally changed, an email alias may be created. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.