Samantha Ornig joined the Office of Marketing and Communications in August 2018 as Editorial Assistant, was promoted to Digital Communications Specialist in 2019, and is now Associate Director of Digital Communications. In this role, she is responsible for maintaining and maximizing content for the Carthage College website and other digital communications.
Sam received her bachelor’s degree in journalism and public relations from Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis (IUPUI) in 2017 and moved to Kenosha after graduation. She held two roles in marketing and PR before joining the Carthage team.
In January 2020, Sam earned the Equity and Inclusion Certificate after participating in the College’s Equity and Inclusion Program for faculty and staff. She is an Equity Coach for the new ARISE program for students, after having completed training to become a Certified Qualifying Administrator through IDI, LLC in August 2020. She also serves on the Emergency Management Team and the Get Out the Vote Team.
Originally from the suburbs of Chicago, Sam enjoys living in Kenosha and becoming more involved in the community. She lives with her husband, Ryan, and their dog and two cats.
- B.A. — Journalism and public relations, Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis
- Certified Qualifying Administrator — IDI, LLC., August 2020
- Equity and Inclusion Certificate — Carthage College, January 2020
- Mental Health First Aid Responder — Mental Health First Aid, March 2022
Main responsibilities at Carthage
- Updates and maintains all website content. Ensures that content is fresh and free from errors.
- Produces content for the Carthage website.
- Works with other departments to create web pages that are reflective of their work and the Carthage brand.
- Trains other departments on website use.
- Assists in managing the alumni, parents, and fine arts e-newsletters, generating content, and working with other offices and departments to optimize readership and click rates.
- Assists in internal and external communications.
Favorite thing about working at Carthage
“I love that Carthage has many opportunities to get involved in exciting projects and programs, such as being an equity coach for the College’s ARISE program. The campus community is so welcoming, and I enjoy getting to know others through the various events and activities. Also, the lake. Not much else is as soothing as listening to the waves on a busy day.”
“I love getting creative — painting, doing ceramics, finding a new DIY project — despite my mediocre artistic abilities. My husband and I are Cubs fans and love watching and going to games. I also enjoy hiking, playing video games, reading, and spending time with friends and family.”