- Carthage College
Professor Pamela Smiley teaches the novel, Introduction to Literature, and Heritage Studies. During 1994-1995, she was a visiting Fulbright professor in Seoul, Korea. She has conducted extensive research work in literature and composition, expository writing, creative writing, and women’s studies.
Prof. Smiley taught at the high school level in New Zealand, at the University of Maryland-European Division, and at the high school level in Australia. She earned her B.A. degree from Winona State College, and her M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She joined the Carthage faculty in 1991.
Prof. Smiley has conducted extensive research work in literature and composition, expository writing, creative writing, and women’s studies. At Carthage, she teaches courses in introductory and topics in literature, Shakespeare, and advanced writing.
Professor of English, and Women’s and Gender Studies
- Ph.D., M.A. — University of Wisconsin-Madison
- B.A. — Winona State College
- ENG 1160 Introduction to Literary Studies
- ENG 2010 American Literary Traditions
- ENG 3020 Literature in its Time II
- ENG 3040 Advanced Writing: Poetry
- ENG 3090 Literatures of Diversity
- ENG 3100 Literature and Gender
- ENG 3110 Shakespeare
- ENG 3140 Literary Genres
- ENG 3150 Special Studies in a Major Author Prior to 1700
- ENG 3160 Special Studies in a Major Author After 1700
- ENG 400T Topics in Literature
- ENG 4100 Senior Seminar