Samantha Ornig joined the Office of Marketing and Communications in August 2018 as Editorial Assistant and now works as our Digital Communications Specialist. In this role, she manages and edits the content on the Carthage website; trains other employees and students on how to use the website’s content management system; assists in writing, editing, and publishing internal and external communications; and more.
Sam received her bachelor’s degree in journalism and public relations from Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis (IUPUI) in 2017 and moved to Kenosha after graduation. She held two roles in marketing and PR before joining the Carthage team.
In January 2020, Sam earned the Equity and Inclusion Certificate after participating in the College’s Equity and Inclusion Program for faculty and staff. She is an Equity Coach for the new ARISE program for students, after having completed training to become a Certified Qualifying Administrator through IDI, LLC in August 2020. She also serves on the Emergency Management Team and the Student Employment Taskforce.
Originally from the suburbs of Chicago, Sam enjoys living in Kenosha and becoming more involved in the community. She lives with her fiance, Ryan, and their dog and two cats.
- B.A. — Journalism and public relations, Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis
- Certified Qualifying Administrator — IDI, LLC., August 2020
- Equity and Inclusion Certificate — Carthage College, January 2020
Main responsibilities at Carthage
- Updates and maintains all website content. Ensures that content is fresh and free from errors.
- Produces content for the Carthage website.
- Works with other departments to create web pages that are reflective of their work and the Carthage brand.
- Trains other departments on website use.
- Assists in managing the alumni, parents, and fine arts e-newsletters, generating content and working with other offices and departments to optimize readership and click rates.
- Assists in internal and external communications.
Favorite thing about working at Carthage
“I love that I can see the lake from my desk. Not much else is as soothing as listening to the waves on a busy day. I also love the sense of community on campus. I’ve always felt welcomed by the staff and faculty, and enjoy getting to know others through the various events and activities.”
“Being from the northwest suburbs of Chicago, I am a huge Cubs fan, and love watching and going to games. I also enjoy hiking, playing video games, reading, and spending time with friends and family.”