- Chair, Management and Marketing Department; Assistant Professor of Management and Marketing
Professor Joseph (J.J.) Shields teaches courses in marketing and business management at Carthage. He has worked for several major corporations, including Miller Brewing Co., ABB Robotics, and Snap-on. He earned a B.S. in engineering from the University of Michigan, and an M.B.A. from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Prof. Shields is founder (and board member) of Velocity Consulting, a 100 percent student-run, full-service consulting agency. He also leads an annual January Term study tour to Goteborg, Sweden, in which students study international business and culture as they meet with executives from such major companies as Volvo Cars and Astra-Zeneca Drugs. Prof. Shields also enjoys building Shaker furniture for local charity auctions; his furniture has raised more than $60,000.
He joined the Carthage faculty in 2009.
- M.B.A. — University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- B.S. — Engineering, University of Michigan
- MKT 3130 Marketing Principles
- MKT 3230 Selling and Sales Management
- MKT 4220 Business to Business Sales & Marketing
- Sweden J-Term Study Trip