Professor Dennis D. Munk is a collaborator for the team-taught Introduction to Psychological Science course, and teaches upper-level courses in learning, and in fieldwork, which involves the senior thesis. He has also taught courses in the Education Department focused on engaging students, educational psychology, and instructional methods for special education, as well as graduate courses in research methods. His current research interest is reflection in learning, with past research areas including functional assessment, grading practices, reading instruction, and inclusive practices.
Prof. Munk has served as co-investigator on research projects funded by the U.S. Department of Education. He has published numerous articles and book chapters, and serves as a reviewer for educational and undergraduate research journals. He has published a book on grading practices for learners with special needs and a text on leadership in inclusive schools.
Prof. Munk is a councilor in the Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR), for which he has served on the Executive Board, and is a member of the Grants Committee of the Professional and Organizational (POD) Network.
- Ed.D. — Special education, Northern Illinois University
- M.A. — Clinical psychology, Western Michigan University
- B.S. — Psychology, Grand Valley State University
- PYC 1500 Introduction to Psychological Science
- PYC 3200 Psychological Science of Teaching and Learning
- PYC 4700 Fieldwork in Psychological Science
Current research focuses on influences on the reflections of students during learning, and by early-career faculty while engaged in development activities.
- 2015 Quality of Life Enhancement Award, Carthage College
- 2002 Exceptional Faculty Researcher Award, College of Education: Northern Illinois University
- Devore, S. & Munk, D. (2015, Summer). “Undergraduate research in teacher education: A rationale for broader engagement.” CUR Quarterly, 35, (4), 12-17. Council on Undergraduate Research: Washington D.C.
- Munk, D.D., & Dempsey, T. (2010). “Leadership strategies for successful schoolwide inclusion: The STAR approach.” Baltimore, MD: Brookes Publishing.
- Van Laarhoven, T.,Munk, D. D., Chandler, L. K., Zurita, L. M., & Lynch, K. (2012). “Integrating assistive technology into teacher education programs: Trials, tribulations, and lessons learned.” Assistive Technology Outcomes and Benefits, 8, (1), 32-47.
- Barnhart, A. S., Cameron, E. L., Munk, D., Robbins, A., & Sylaska, K. (2019, February). The benefits of team-teaching Introduction to Psychological Science. Talk presented at the Midwest Institute for Students and Teachers of Psychology at the College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, IL.
- Bernhagen, L., & Munk, D. (2017). Writing a successful POD Network Grant Proposal. Presentation at the Annual Conference of the Professional and Organizational (POD) Network, October, Montreal.
- Munk, D., Hancock, M., & Baer, G. (2017). Promoting equitable, inclusive, and effective classroom practices through collaborative design. Presentation at the Annual Conference of the Professional and Organizational (POD) Network, October, Montreal.
- Munk, D., Lopez, C., & McMullen, R.C. (2017). Provosts, deans, and program directors: Opportunities for Collaboration. Presentation at the Advancing Undergraduate Research Conference of the Council on Undergraduate Research, June, Flagstaff, AZ.
- Garcia, D., & Munk, D. (2015). Opening a Center: Faculty Engaging the Past, Present, and Future. Presentation at the annual conference of the Professional & Organizational Development (POD) Network. November, San Francisco.
- Munk, D., & Rener, C. (2015). Shaping Effective New Faculty Orientations Amidst Obstacles and Expectations. Presentation at the annual conference of the Professional & Organizational Development (POD) Network. November, San Francisco.
- Munk, D., Ellis, D., Jackson, K., & Longstreet, C.S. (2015). Crafting successful SoTL grant proposals: Suggestions from veteran writers. Presentation at the annual conference of the Professional & Organizational Development (POD) Network. November, San Francisco.
- DeVore, S., Eno, W., & Munk, D. (2015). Undergraduate Research in Pre-Professional Education: A Rationale for Action and Examples from the Field. Presentation at the annual National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR). March, Spokane, WA.
- Manak, J., Young, G., Henry, K., & Munk, D. (March, 2015). Integrating Undergraduate Research into Teacher Education Programs. Presentation at the annual National Conference on Undergraduate Research. March, Spokane, WA.
- Barron, T., Munk, D., Bursuck, W.D. & Jones, A. (2014). General educators’ grading decisions in inclusive classrooms: Implications for professional development. Presentation at the annual conference of the Council for Exceptional Children. April, Philadelphia.