- Assistant Professor of Mathematics
Professor Diana Thomson earned her B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in mathematics from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. As a graduate student, she wrote her dissertation on improving training algorithms for complex-valued artificial neural networks under the supervision of Dr. Yi Ming Zou. Her current research interests have expanded to include both the theory and applications of complex- and quaternion-valued neural networks.
Prior to coming to Carthage in 2018, Prof. Thomson was a Visiting Assistant Professor at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. She previously taught as an Assistant Professor at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, a small liberal arts college just outside Terre Haute, Indiana.
Outside of academia, Prof. Thomson enjoys to exercise and spend time with her dog. Her non-mathematical interests include the arts and ancient Egyptian history and mythology.
- Ph.D. – Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- M.S. – Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- B.S. – Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- MTH 1030 Applied Contemporary Mathematics
- MTH 1050 Elementary Statistics
- MTH 1120 Calculus I
Prof. Thomson’s current research interests include artificial neural network theory and applications, including classification problems and color image processing.