Carthage’s Modern Languages Department uses an online placement test in French, German, and Spanish to determine the appropriate course placement for each student.
This online multiple choice test can be taken at home before students register for their first semester, and typically takes between 20-25 minutes. (See information below for other languages.)
Placement Test Information and Guidelines
This is a computer adaptive test, which means that questions are drawn from a large bank of questions, so you will not get the same questions as other test takers. The system is able to use your right and wrong answers to gauge your level and provide you with questions from the question bank that are at your level. So if a question seems too difficult or too easy, keep doing the best you can as the system determines the correct level of questions for you.
Please note: This test is offered for placement into the correct language course only. It cannot be used for students to “test out” of the College’s Modern Language requirement.*
- There is no charge for this test.
- Students should take the test only once. Only the first recorded score will be used for student placement.
- No books, notes, or any other materials or resources (including help from other people) are allowed during the test. This test is used to place students into the course that will best fit their needs. Those who “cheat” by receiving outside help or by using restricted materials will likely be placed in a course that is too difficult for their current ability level.
- Go to: http://webcape.org/nwcregister.php?acct=carthage.
- Enter the password provided to you.
- Select your Test Language from the drop-down menu.
- Fill out the form with the requested information:
- Enter your full first and last names.
- For ID number, please use the Carthage ID number (provided to you along with the placement test password if you are an incoming student).
- Enter an email address you use frequently. (This is optional).
- Click the “Continue” button to begin.
- Read the instructions and the practice question carefully.
- Click the “Submit Answer” button on the practice question page to begin the test.
Reporting Placement Test Scores
The placement test system informs students of their scores and placement levels immediately (for informational purposes). You may record or save this information if you wish, but scores are also reported to Carthage and are entered into each student’s official record, so that students can register for the correct language course.
Japanese and Chinese
Japanese and Chinese language placement testing is not currently offered through Carthage’s online placement test. If you have taken one of these languages and feel that you should be placed higher than the 1010 level, please contact the Modern Languages Department’s Placement Coordinator by email at
Latin and Ancient Greek
Latin and Ancient Greek placement tests can be taken by contacting the chair of the Classics Department, Professor Ben DeSmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Heritage speakers of French, German, and Spanish (those who speak one of these languages at home) and those whose scores are very high are encouraged to contact the Modern Languages Department’s Placement Coordinator by email at email@example.com to discuss their placement.
*The online language placement test cannot be used to test out of Carthage’s modern language requirement. Students who place at the 2010 level or above and do not plan to take a language course at Carthage will need to confirm their placement level on campus during their first semester by contacting the Modern Languages Department’s Placement Coordinator.