Target Language Experts
At Carthage, introductory language courses are taught by native speakers. The College hires graduate students from around the world to come to Carthage to share their language and culture. These Target Language Experts bring an energy and authenticity to modern language courses, giving students new to a language a vibrant and exciting introduction.
J-Term is a month-long period of study in January in which all academic departments at Carthage offer innovative courses on campus as well as study tours in other countries. J-Term offerings from the Modern Languages Department include:
- Argentina: Cross-Cultural and Global Business Studies: A business/modern languages study tour to Argentina
- After the Peace: Causes and Consequences of the Guatemalan Civil War: An economics/modern languages course in Guatemala
- Spain: Intensive Language Study: A full month in Spain studying language and culture
- The Spanish Civil War: An on-campus course studying the war’s origins and consequences
- Francophone West African Encounters: An on-campus exploration of Francophone West Africa
- Chinese and Japanese Cultures Through Films: An on-campus study of cinema and culture
- Heroes, Dreamers and Scoundrels of Spain: El Cid, Don Quijote and Don Juan: An on-campus course focusing on translated works and films
- In addition, professors from various departments such as History, Politics and Economics who are specialized or interested in Japanese society may lead J-Term trips to Japan. The trips provide students opportunities to have direct contact with Japanese people and culture.
All modern language majors must study abroad for at least one term. Carthage offers courses prior to traveling abroad that prepare students both linguistically and culturally for this experience. Students have traveled to Argentina, Australia, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Egypt, England, France, Germany, Ghana, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Peru, Senegal and Spain. Carthage has affiliated with several reputable institutions in order to provide our students with academically rigorous, high-quality international programs in a variety of locations around the globe.
Modern Language Scholarships
Carthage awards 10 Modern Language Scholarships every year, awarding two scholarships each for Chinese, French, German, Japanese, and Spanish. These scholarships each cover 75% tuition per year, renewable, and incorporate all Carthage assistance.
Carthage offers modern language students the opportunity to utilize their language skills in a variety of settings by volunteering as language instructors, translators, tutors, and support personnel in schools and other organizations. In the course community-based Language Learning, students work in Kenosha area schools. Students have also volunteered in service learning situations in other countries.