Carthage has supported several composers in the creation of outstanding new works for wind orchestra. Commissions for the 2019-20 year were offered to Judy Bozone, Jocelyn Hagen, and Sydney Kjerstad.
Recent commissions were offered to:
- Jose Ignacio Blesa Lull — Young Symphony (2018), in conjunction with WASBE Commissioning Project.
- Craig Thomas Naylor — From Heaven Above (2018), for chorus, organ, and winds.
- Dana Wilson — Shubaduba (2017), in conjunction with the WASBE Commissioning Project.
- Stacy Garrop — Quicksilver (2017), a concerto for alto saxophone based on the legend of Mercury, in conjunction with CBDNA.
- Xi Wang — Winter Blossom (2017), a composition celebrating the life and legacy of Steven Stucky, in conjunction with WASBE Commissioning Project.
- Stacy Garrop — Mythology Suite (2016), two dramatic and lyrical movements that were transcribed for the 2017 Japan Tour. “Penelope Waits” and “The Lovely Sirens.” Published by Theodore Presser.
- Libby Larsen/Ripley — River Fanfare (2004/2016), transcription of the work written for the Sheldon Theatre Brass Band.
- Dana Wilson — Trombone Concerto (2015), a jazz-influenced work written for Henry Charles Smith, premiered by the University of Minnesota Wind Ensemble on April 26. Consortium organized through CBDNA by Craig Kirchhoff.
- Andre Previn — Music for Winds and Percussion (2014), a work from the renowned conductor/composer, premiered by the Eastman Wind Ensemble in October 2014. Consortium of 23 universities. Published by G. Schirmer.
- Alex Shapiro — Liquid Compass (2014) Celebrating the 140th Anniversary of the founding of the Carthage Band in 1873. Published by ACTIVIST MUSIC, distributed by Hal Leonard.
- Roberto Sierra — Mambo metalico (2013), written for the 60th anniversary of the Eastman Wind Ensemble, with Eastman Conductors’ Consortium. Published by Subito Music.
- Sydney Kjerstad — Boss Battle (2013), initiating the recognition of the 140th Anniversary of the founding of the Carthage Band in 1873.
- Tom Vignieri — To Journey (2012), commissioned by Carthage for Gregory and Barbara Campbell.
- Martin Ellerby — A Soliloquy for Solferino (2011), in conjunction with WASBE.
- Tom Vignieri and James Ripley — American Hymn (2010), wind band version.
- James Syler — A Blue Streak (2010), in conjunction with CBDNA.
- Christopher Theofanidis — The Here and The Now (2009), in conjunction with Rumbelow Consortium.
- Daniel Bukvich — INFERNO for Chamber Ensemble (2009), in conjunction with Cochran Consortium.
- Matthias Kern — Two Lives, One Music (2006)
- Charles Rochester Young — Songs without Words (2004), with Wisconsin Band Directors’ Consortium.
- Keith Carpenter — Palimpsest (2003)
- Steven Stucky — Concerto for Percussion (2002), with Eastman Conductors’ Consortium.