Carthage has supported several composers in the creation of outstanding new works for wind orchestra. New commissions are currently being negotiated with Dana Wilson and Timothy Mahr. The January 2017 Japan Tour featured the premiere of a commissioned transcription for band of Stacy Garrop’s Penelope Waits, and The Lovely Sirens from “Mythology Symphony”.
Recent commissions were offered to:
- Stacy Garrop — Quicksilver (2017) in process, a concerto for alto saxophone based on the legend of Mercury
- Xi Wang — Winter Blossom (2017) in process, a composition celebrating the life and legacy of Steven Stucky.
- Stacy Garrop — Mythology Suite (2016), two dramatic and lyrical movements that were transcribed for the 2017 Japan Tour. “Penelope Waits” and “The Lovely Sirens”. Published by Theodore Presser
- Libby Larsen/Ripley — River Fanfare (2004/2016) - transcription of the work written for the Sheldon Theatre Brass Band
- Dana Wilson — Trombone Concerto (2015), a jazz-influenced work written for Henry Charles Smith, premiered by the University of Minnesota Wind Ensemble on April 26. Consortium organized through CBDNA by Craig Kirchhoff.
- Andre Previn — Music for Winds and Percussion (2014), a work from the renowned conductor/composer, premiered by the Eastman Wind Ensemble in October 2014. Consortium of 23 universities. Published by G. Schirmer
- Alex Shapiro — Liquid Compass (2014) Celebrating the 140th Anniversary of the founding of the Carthage Band in 1873. Published by ACTIVIST MUSIC, distributed by Hal Leonard.
- Roberto Sierra — Mambo metalico (2013), written for the 60th anniversary of the Eastman Wind Ensemble, with Eastman Conductors’ Consortium. Published by Subito Music
- Sydney Kjerstad — Boss Battle (2013) Initiating the recognition of the 140th Anniversary of the founding of the Carthage Band in 1873.
- Tom Vignieri — To Journey (2012) commissioned by Carthage for Gregory & Barbara Campbell
- Martin Ellerby — A Soliloquy for Solferino (2011) in conjunction with WASBE
- Tom Vignieri & James Ripley — American Hymn (2010) wind band version
- James Syler — A Blue Streak (2010), in conjunction with CBDNA
- Christopher Theofanidis — The Here and The Now (2009), in conjunction with Rumbelow Consortium
- Daniel Bukvich — INFERNO for Chamber Ensemble (2009), in conjunction with Cochran Consortium
- Matthias Kern — Two Lives, One Music (2006)
- Charles Rochester Young — Songs without Words (2004), with Wisconsin Band Directors’ Consortium
- Keith Carpenter — Palimpsest (2003)
- Steven Stucky — Concerto for Percussion (2002), with Eastman Conductors’ Consortium