A major in music at Carthage consists of the following courses (40 credits):
- MUS 1010 Music Theory I (3 credits)
- MUS 1020 Aural Skills I (1 credit)
- MUS 1030 Music Theory II (3 credits)
- MUS 1040 Aural Skills II (1 credit)
- MUS 2010 Music Theory III (3 credits)
- MUS 2020 Aural Skills III (1 credit)
- MUS 2030 Music Theory IV (3 credits)
- MUS 2040 Aural Skills IV (1 credit)
- MUS 0160 Keyboard Skills I (1 credit)
- MUS 0170 Keyboard Skills II (1 credit)
- MUS 0180 Keyboard Skills III (1 credit)
- MUS 0190 Keyboard Skills IV (1 credit)
- MUS 3050 Music History I (4 credits)
- MUS 3060 Music History II (4 credits)
- MUS 400T Music History Depth Elective (4 credits)
- MUS 4990 Senior Thesis Completion (0 credits)
- MUS 0700 Recital Attendance (0 credits, 8 terms) *
Applied lessons in the principal area (8 credits, 1 credit each term) *
Ensemble Participation (0 credits, 8 terms) *
*All student teachers are granted waivers for lessons, ensemble, and recital attendance in the semester they plan to student teach.
(Music majors are placed in an approved ensemble in their principal performing area.)
For students who want to seek further depth and skills development, Carthage offers emphases in instrumental and vocal performance, piano pedagogy, and music composition. Additionally, Carthage offers a major in music education and an interdisciplinary major in music theatre.
Current students: You should follow the official College Catalog from the year you entered Carthage and work with your advisors and the department chair to ensure all requirements are met.