A college’s team name and mascot is extremely meaningful to its sense of identity, community, and school spirit. The Carthage College Task Force on Team Names and Mascot considered the following questions as it evaluated the Red Men and Lady Reds team names. The College will use these same questions in evaluating potential names.
- Is this team name unifying for the Carthage campus and larger Carthage community?
- Does it represent positive qualities, ideals, or associations around which people can rally?
- Is it broadly relevant across the Carthage community, student body, and among generations of alumni?
- Is it representative of the Carthage experience and/or history, either generally or specifically?
- Does it work equally well for women’s and men’s sports teams?
- Does it have the potential to translate in a visually pleasing manner?
Goals for the Process
The Task Force on Team Names and Mascot has consulted with students, alumni, faculty, and staff throughout this process, working carefully and collaboratively with the Carthage community since its work began in November 2019.
Original charge: The task force will make a recommendation to President John Swallow on whether or not the team names of Red Men and Lady Reds, and the mascot Torchie, are the right ones for Carthage in the future. If the recommendation is for a change, the task force will conduct a consultative process for receiving name suggestions. After the task force concludes its work, President Swallow will consider whether to make a recommendation on these matters to the Board of Trustees.
The task force will take steps during its work to:
- Ensure a transparent process.
- Ensure transparent decision-making.
- Maximize constituent participation and feedback.
- Advance community-building, particularly between students and alumni.