Carthage College Faculty Meeting Minutes
April 8, 2010
Provost Judith Schaumberg called the meeting to order at 11:50 a.m.
Harvard Stephens gave the invocation.
Minutes of the March 4, 2010 Faculty Meeting were approved as published.
Faculty Executive Committee
Steve Udry and Aaron Trautwein, Co-Chairs
1. Trautwein: The proposal for an Academic Senate, unanimously recommended by the members of the FEC and GRSC, has been sent via email.
2. Faculty Committee elections by written ballot
(Elections progressed concurrently following agenda items. New representatives appear in bold and italics.]
a. Personnel and Tenure:
Nominees: Jean Quashnock, Chris Renaud, Mimi Yang,
b. Quality of Life
Nominees:Martin McClendon, John Isham, C.J. Stephenson, Deb Tobiason, Mimi Yang
Curriculum Planning Committee
Herschel Kruger, Chair
1. Changes to the Physics major, including two new courses, carried unanimously.
2. Changes to the Athletic Training major, including two new courses, carried unanimously.
3. Changes to the Classical and Archeological major carried unanimously.
4. Four new courses were proposed as a group, seconded, and approved unanimously.
5. Topics courses were presented for information only.
Quality of Life Committee
Tom Powers and Laura Huaracha, Co-Chairs
1. Powers: Faculty Research and Development Grant applications are due on April 15 at noon. The grant budget has been increased from $26,000.00 to $31,000.
Present allocations: Student Academic Travel Grants: $4,000 (was $2,000);
Faculty Research and Development Grants: $27,000 (was $24,000).
2. Eight Student Academic Travel Grants have been awarded; details will be available on the QOL website.
3. Nominations for the Quality of Life Enhancement Award are solicited. Deliberations will occur this spring, the award will be announced next fall.
Greg Baer and Dennis Munk, Co-Chairs
1. With a PowerPoint presentation of information and encouragement, Munk and Baer requested all faculty members join a Faculty Learning Community (FLC).
2. Baer: An Assessment discussion is scheduled for April 27. Departmental representatives with current assessment information are needed for discussion and to prepare an assessment report template.
3. The new Director of Assessment is Dana Garrigan
Jane Livingston: The Chamber Music Series grant has been renewed for 2010-2011.
Anne Cassidy: The Annual Student All-College Art Show and the Carthage Faculty Art Show open today.
Michael McShane: Hannibal Lecture today.
Chris Renaud: Presentation tonight: “Literacy through the Generations”
Herschel Kruger: Senior thesis production, RABBIT HOLE opens tonight in the Studio Theatre. SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE runs the last two weekends of April.
Brad Andrews: Thanks to all those who helped with the over 750 scholarship applicants.
The meeting adjourned at 12:25 p.m.