The Carthage College Institutional Review Board (IRB) reviews all research projects involving human participants. The IRB ensures research projects comply with Federal Guidelines for the protection of the rights and safety of human participants in research studies/ projects.
Learn more about IRB through these links:
Links to Get You Started
Projects requiring IRB review
- All research initiated by faculty or staff focused on human participants.
- All research projects that gather any information that can be used to distinguish or trace an individual’s identity, such as name, social security number, date and place of birth, mother’s maiden name, or biometric records.
- All research projects that may present risk to participants, including physical, social, or psychological risk.
- All dissertations, theses or other student projects researching human participants.
- All training programs with a research component, regardless of the source of funding.
Human subjects research at Carthage
- IRB Guidelines apply to research conducted at Carthage and/or by Carthage investigators.
- All studies reviewed by the Carthage IRB require a Principal Investigator (PI) who is Carthage faculty/staff
- All Carthage researchers who plan to use human participants must file an IRB Application
- Researchers should file projects with the Institutional Review Board via the IRBNet
- Only Carthage faculty/staff are eligible to submit a project to the IRB
- In the case of student research: the student should work with a faculty member to submit the project
- CITI research/ethics training is required of all researchers involved in a project submitted to the IRB
- All projects submitted to the IRB require the signature of the department chair or an other designated IRB departmental representative. See here for a list of those approved to sign off on projects.
Revisions to the Common Rule & New IRB Procedures
Carthage Forms & Guidelines
All forms and guidelines are available on IRB Net. For your convenience, we also provide the following forms below.
- Carthage IRB Training Spring 2019
- Carthage IRB General Guidelines
- Carthage IRB Exemption Guidelines
- IRB Application Form
- Consent Form Template
- Minor Consent Form Template
- Minor Assent Form Template
- Amendment/ Continuing Review Form
- Request for Release from Continuing Review
- Unanticipated Risk-Adverse Event Form
- Researcher Agreement with School/Organization Template
- Carthage IRB Required Departmental Signature List
- CITI Training & IRBNet Instructions for Faculty/Staff
- IRB Process & CITI Training for Students
IRB Meeting Dates 2019-2020
- * An additional meeting may be scheduled in June to accomodate SURE related submissions