Majors and Minors Offered
The Sociology Department at Carthage strives to foster the development of each student’s sociological imagination. Students learn to:
- Thoughtfully analyze the roots of social problems
- Examine potential remedies
- Think critically about an individual’s role in society
- Think critically about complex social institutions
- Look beyond their own cultural _ and perhaps ethnocentric — world views to better understand other cultures, both present and past
Sociology students probe the links between historical eras and personal biographies between social structures and private lives. This modern mode of thought is useful in diverse walks of life, which benefit from an informed, critical view of the society’s master, middle-range and minor institutions.
At Carthage, sociology students can benefit from opportunities for field experiences and internships, and scholarships within the department. Many sociology students choose to combine their studies with majors in psychology, social work, criminal justice, women and gender studies, or a foreign language. Students go on to careers in applied research, consulting, survey research, urban planning, and more.
The Department of Sociology is committed to supporting Carthage College’s commitment to excellence in teaching within a small, private, liberal arts setting. As such, we strive to integrate sociological perspectives and ways of knowing with those found in other disciplines, while also building a sense of community among faculty and students alike.