Bylaws of the Carthage College Staff Council
The Staff Council is an elected body that serves as a liaison between Carthage staff and the Office of the President.
Article I. Members
The Staff Council shall consist of nine (9) Area Representatives members and three (3) At Large members elected by all staff, one of each within the following areas of the College for a total of twelve members:
- Library and Information Services, Mailroom
- Office of the President, Office of Provost, Institutional Advancement, Career Services
- Athletics Department and Conference Services
- Business Office, Office of the Registrar, Office of Communications, and Office of Continuing Studies
- Division of Student Affairs (Center for Student Success, Dean of Students, Student Involvement, Office of Residential Life)
- Center for Faith and Spirituality, Health and Counseling Services, Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium, Academic Support Staff, and Writing Center
- Office of Admissions and Office of Student Financial Planning
- Maintenance Department
- EVS Department
- Three (3) Elected at large seats
Any full-time non faculty employee of Carthage College may be elected to the Staff Council. The term of office for elected representatives shall be three (3) years. Members may be re-elected to Staff Council after a one (1) year waiting period from the end of any full three-year term. Three Area Representatives and one At Large Representative will be elected each year.
Every July, nominations will be sought and elections will be held for the area representative seats eligible for election in that year. Every August, nominations will be sought and elections will be held for the at large seat eligible for election in that year. All staff members vote for all open seats on the Staff Council.
The term of service for each new member of the Staff Council shall begin at the September meeting following the August elections.
A member of the Staff Council shall cease to be a member if he/she:
- Submits a resignation in writing to the Chairperson of the Staff Council, specifying date of resignation;
- Has been asked to leave the Council due to lack of active participation and engagement as determined by the majority of the Council;
- Moves to a faculty position or is no longer employed by Carthage College.
Exceptions to these membership rules may be granted by a majority vote of the Staff Council. Should a vacancy occur, Staff Council will either invite the runner-up from the most recent election, or seek an additional replacement. The appointee will serve the remainder of the full three year term.
Article II. Officers
The officers of the Staff Council shall be a Chairperson, a Vice Chairperson and a Secretary. These officers shall be elected by the Staff Council at its Annual Organizational Meeting in September after the August elections. These officers shall serve for a term of one year. The Secretary will keep a copy of each meeting’s minutes. The Staff Council may also appoint such additional officers as it may, from time to time, see fit. Officers may seek re-election until the end of their three year term of elected membership.
It is the responsibility of the Chairperson to:
- Preside at all meetings;
- Report all actions and recommendations of the Staff Council to the Senior Vice President for Administration and Business;
- Appoint chairpersons for committees;
- Announce business to be acted upon and create the agenda for each meeting;
- Represent and stand for Staff Council in carrying out its purpose
Any special meetings are to be called by the Chairperson.
In the event of an absence of the Chairperson, the Vice Chairperson will act as Chairperson. The Vice Chairperson performs other duties assigned by the Chairperson and keeps current on the activities of all committees.
It is the Secretary’s responsibility to record attendance and take minutes at each meeting. The secretary will distribute updates and a summary of the minutes following each meeting to:
- Staff Council members
- Campus Archivist
- Office of the President (if applicable)
- The Bridge
Distribution may change based upon any changes in College organization and as the Staff Council deems appropriate. The Secretary will reserve rooms for all scheduled meetings.
Article III. Meetings
The Annual Organizational Meeting of the Staff Council shall be held in September. Written notice shall be sent to all members, including those who were members prior to such meeting and those newly elected to the Staff Council, at least one week before such meeting. At a time in the meeting to be indicated by the Chairperson, newly elected members shall join the Staff Council and those whose term of office expires at the meeting shall leave the Staff Council. The new members and the continuing members shall elect officers for the following year.
The Secretary shall record a calendar of dates for regular meetings. The meetings shall be held monthly unless otherwise changed by the Chairperson and agreed to by the Staff Council as a whole.
The Staff Council shall conduct all regularly scheduled business in meetings open to all members of the Carthage community.
A simple majority of the Staff Council shall constitute a quorum for any meeting.
The Chairperson shall set the agenda for all meetings.
Article IV. Committees
The Staff Council may create committees or ad hoc committees as it deems necessary.
Article V. Conduct of Business
When questions of parliamentary procedure arise, Robert’s Rules of Order will be the authority, except where the College Employee Handbook or these bylaws specify otherwise.
Each elected member of the Staff Council shall have one vote on each issue. The Chairperson will not normally vote on the business of the Staff Council during meetings. When the vote on an item under consideration is a tie, the Chairperson will vote to break that tie. A member may vote in person or by proxy given in writing.