Bylaws of the Carthage College Staff Council
The Staff Council is an elected body that serves as a liaison between Carthage staff and the Office of the President.
Article I. Members
The Staff Council shall consist of eight (8) Area Representatives members and three (3) At Large members elected by all staff, one of each within the following areas of the College for a total of eleven (11) members:
- Academic Support Staff, Office of Continuing Studies, Office of the Provost, Office of Sponsored Programs, Wisconsin Space Grant Consortium
- Aspire Center, Institutional Advancement, Office of the President
- Athletics Department, Conference Services
- Business Office, Human Resources, Office of the Registrar, Student Accounts
- Division of Student Affairs (Center for Faith and Spirituality, Center for Student Success, Dean of Students, Health and Counseling Services, Office of Residential Life, Student Involvement)
- EVS and Maintenance departments
- Library and Information Services, Mailroom
- Office of Admissions, Office of Communications, Office of Student Financial Planning
- Three (3) elected At-Large seats
Any full-time, non-faculty employee of Carthage College may be elected to the Staff Council. The term of office for elected representatives shall be three (3) years. Members may be re-elected to Staff Council after a one (1) year waiting period from the end of any full three-year term.
Every June, nominations will be sought and elections will be held for the open seats on Staff Council. Only staff members located in the respective departments will vote for their department representative. All staff members vote for open At-Large seats.
New and retiring members will be invited to attend the July Staff Council meeting. The term of service for each new member of the Staff Council shall begin at the August meeting.
A member of the Staff Council shall cease to be a member if they:
- Submit a resignation in writing to the Chairperson of the Staff Council, specifying date of resignation;
- Have been asked to leave the Council due to lack of active participation and engagement as determined by the majority of the Council;
- Move to a faculty position or are no longer employed by Carthage College.
Exceptions to these membership rules may be granted by a majority vote of the Staff Council. Should a vacancy occur, Staff Council will either invite the runner-up from the most recent election, or seek an additional replacement. The appointee will serve the remainder of the full-three year term.
Article II. Officers
The officers of the Staff Council shall be a Chairperson, a Vice Chairperson and a Secretary. These officers shall be elected by the Staff Council at the August meeting. These officers shall serve for a term of one year. The Staff Council may also appoint such additional officers as it may, from time to time, see fit. Officers may seek re-election until the end of their three-year term of elected membership.
It is the responsibility of the Chairperson to:
- Preside at all meetings;
- Appoint chairpersons for committees;
- Announce business to be acted upon and create the agenda for each meeting;
- Represent and stand for Staff Council in carrying out its purpose
Any special meetings are to be called by the Chairperson.
In the event of an absence of the Chairperson, the Vice Chairperson will act as Chairperson. The Vice Chairperson performs other duties assigned by the Chairperson and keeps current on the activities of all committees.
It is the Secretary’s responsibility to record attendance and take minutes at each meeting. The secretary will distribute updates and a summary of the minutes following each meeting to:
- Staff Council members
- Campus Archivist
- Office of the President (if applicable)
- The Bridge
Distribution may change based upon any changes in College organization and as the Staff Council deems appropriate. The Secretary will reserve rooms for all scheduled meetings.
Article III. Meetings
The annual organizational meeting of the Staff Council shall be held in July. Electronic notice shall be sent to all members, including those who were members prior to such meeting and those newly elected to the Staff Council, at least one week before such meeting. At a time in the meeting to be indicated by the Chairperson, newly elected members shall join the Staff Council and those whose term of office expires at the meeting shall leave the Staff Council.
The Secretary shall record a calendar of dates for regular meetings. The meetings shall be held monthly unless otherwise changed by the Chairperson and agreed to by the Staff Council as a whole.
The Staff Council shall conduct all regularly scheduled business in meetings open to all members of the Carthage community.
A simple majority of the Staff Council shall constitute a quorum for any meeting.
The Chairperson shall set the agenda for all meetings.
Article IV. Committees
The Staff Council may create committees or ad hoc committees as it deems necessary.
Article V. Conduct of Business
When questions of parliamentary procedure arise, Robert’s Rules of Order will be the authority, except where the College Employee Handbook or these bylaws specify otherwise.
Each elected member of the Staff Council shall have one vote on each issue. A member may vote in person or by proxy given in writing.