Skip to main content

Student Involvement

Election Information

Election Dates

Vote button
Learn about the 2020 Presidential and Wisconsin candidates

  • Wisconsin Primary Election – Feb. 18, 2020
  • Presidential Primary/Wisconsin Local Election – April 7, 2020
  • Presidential Election – Nov. 3, 2020

Voter Registration

Voting in Wisconsin

Register to vote online at!
Wisconsin residents can also find their polling location, request an absentee ballot, and more through this site by entering their name and birthdate. 

Voting deadlines for April 7 Local Election and Presidential Primary

  • March 18 — Deadline to register by mail or online
    If registering by mail, your voter registration form along with proof of residence must be postmarked to your municipal clerk no later than March 18. Voters who are able to match their name, date of birth, Wisconsin Driver License or State ID number, and address with the Wisconsin DMV can register to vote online through March 18.
  • April 3 — Deadline to register at your municipal clerk’s office
    Voters may register in-person in their municipal clerk’s office during the clerk’s business hours until 5 p.m. on April 3. You can find your municipal clerk’s contact information on Registered voters can find themselves in the system and get the address of their municipal clerk. Non-registered users can use the “Address Search” feature, enter a street address, and find the clerk for that municipality.
  • April 7 — Register to vote at your polling place
    Voters can register to vote at their polling place on Presidential Primary Election Day, April 7, 2020. 
    Find your polling place


Absentee Voting Deadlines

All voters in Wisconsin can request an absentee ballot be mailed to them for any reason. Voters must be registered before they can request an absentee ballot. Voters may request their absentee ballot in writing. Voters must provide a photo ID with your absentee ballot request. 
Request an absentee ballot

  • April 2 — Deadline to request an absentee ballot for regular or permanent overseas voters
    If you are a regular or a permanent overseas voter, your absentee ballot request must be received by your municipal clerk no later than 5 p.m. on April 2.
  • April 3 — Deadline to request an absentee ballot for those indefinitely confined 
    If a voter is indefinitely confined, meaning they have a difficult time getting to the polls due to age, illness, infirmity, or disability, the absentee ballot request must be received by your municipal clerk no later than 5 p.m. on April 3, 2020.


Voting deadlines for November 3 PResidential election

Voting deadlines for the November 3 Presidential Election will be available soon. 

Proof of Residence in Wisconsin

When registering, you must provide proof of residence. The Government Accountability Board recognizes a student’s proof of enrollment as proof of residence for registration along with a current student ID. Students can access the proof of enrollment form from the My.Carthage portal to register to vote in Wisconsin. Follow these steps to access your proof of enrollment:

  • Log into your My Carthage portal
  • Click on the “Finances” Tab
  • On the left menu, select “My Account Information”
  • Select “Course and Fee Statement”
  • From the drop down menu, select the current semester (this should default)
  • Select “Generate My Course and Fee Statement”
  • Click on the PDF to view and print your fee statement
  • Bring your fee statement to the polling station with your Voter ID

Voting in Other States

If you choose to cast your ballot in your home state, visit to learn how to register to vote in that state. 

Every state except North Dakota requires citizens to register if they want to vote. States that require registration also have deadlines for when you need to register by. Visit the U.S. Vote Foundation’s website to find out deadline dates for all states, or check your state or territory’s election office for more details

Voter IDs

Click to enlarge.Click to enlarge.If you’re from another state but want to register to vote in Wisconsin, you can obtain a valid voter ID card from the Division of Student Affairs in the Todd Wehr Center. Students can request a voter ID during normal office hours, which are from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.

*Note: Your student ID card will not suffice as valid photo identification for voting.

Other forms of ID that will be accepted are…

  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended
  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card
  • A Wisconsin DOT-issues ID card or driver license receipt
  • A Military ID card issued by the U.S. Uniformed Services (including retired and dependent uniformed service IDs)
  • A U.S. passport book or card

Carthage’s Division of Student Affairs will host Voter ID Printing events for students throughout the year to make sure students have a valid voter ID in time for the election. See upcoming voter ID printing events or read The Bridge for more details. 

Where do I go to vote?

Live on campus?

Local and Presidential Primaries

  • Request an absentee ballot from your home state if you’re registered to vote there.
  • If you’re registered to vote in Wisconsin with your campus address, you will vote at St. Catherine Commons Senior Living Center, 3524 7th Ave, Kenosha, Wis. 53140-2577. 

Presidential Election on Nov. 3

  • Request an absentee ballot from your home state if you’re registered to vote there.
  • If you’re registered to vote in Wisconsin with your campus address, you will vote on campus for the Presidential Election on Tuesday, Nov. 3.
    Please note: The Presidential Election will take place over Carthage’s Fall Break. If you’re a student who is planning on voting on campus, make sure you either request an absentee ballot or plan to be on campus by Tuesday, Nov. 3.  

Live off campus or commute to Carthage? 

Upcoming Election Events

March 17th, 2020

  • Vote button 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Voter ID Printing

    The Division of Student Affairs will print voter ID cards from noon to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, March 17 near the front doors of Lentz Hall. 

March 18th, 2020

  • Vote button 11:30am - 1:30pm: Voter ID Printing

    The Division of Student Affairs will print voter ID cards from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 18 near the front doors of Lentz Hall.

October 13th, 2020

  • Vote button 12:00pm - 2:00pm: Voter ID Printing

    The Division of Student Affairs will print voter ID cards from noon to 2 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 13 near the front doors of Lentz Hall.

  • Quick Facts

    • Carthage is named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton Review (2020), a designation given to only 25 percent of four-year schools.

    • The Tower, Carthage’s newest residence hall, provides some of the best views on campus — if not in the Midwest! In addition to #carthageviews of the lake from seven stories up, residents enjoy suite-style living and two floors of shared campus spaces for gaming, cooking, group meetings, or quiet studying. Learn more about all housing options.

    • You’re going to need brain fuel. Grab a morning coffee and a snack and Starbucks or Einstein Bros. Bagels. Later, meet friends at “The Caf,” where the specials change daily but the staples are constant, or swing through “The Stu” for wings, a burrito, or a sub. A new option, Carthage Cash, even covers some off-campus meals.

    • More than 90% of Carthage alumni report that they have secured a job or are continuing their studies six months after graduation. Visit Career Services.

    • 91% of employers say critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills matter more than your major when it comes to career success. Learn more about how the liberal arts prepare you for a successful career.

    • Lots of schools wear the four-year label. Carthage stands behind it. More than 90% of Carthage graduates earn their degrees in four years. Learn more

    • Oscars. Emmys. Tonys. Golden Globes. The playwrights we’ve brought in have them. Each year, the Carthage Theatre Department commissions an original script by a renowned playwright for its New Play Initiative. Carthage students then work with the writer to stage it. 

    • Carthage has ranked as a top Fulbright producer for four of the past five years. Read about Carthage Fulbright winners.

    • Things look new at Carthage because they are. Our science center, student union, athletic and recreation center, and numerous residence halls have all been constructed or newly renovated in the last 15 years.

    • Carthage offers majors, minors and concentrations in more than 50 areas of study, from archaeology to neuroscience, nursing to music theatre.

    • Our Summer Undergraduate Research Experience offers select students a research budget, one-on-one mentoring with a professor, and 10 weeks of analyzing, deciphering — and getting paid.

    • So the lake is kind of a focal point, but there’s a lot more to love about our campus — like the fact that our more than 80-acre campus is also an arboretum and wildlife sanctuary. Focused on keeping campus lush forever, we plant between 50 and 75 new trees every year from a variety of species.

    • Carthage was founded in 1847. That’s more than 170 years of leaders, makers, and go-getters going out and going forth. Read more about Carthage’s rich history.

    • More than 90 percent of students receive financial aid. Carthage awards more than $20 million in scholarship and grant assistance. That includes $5.5 million in competitive scholarships in business, mathematics, science, languages, the fine arts, leadership, and overall academic strength. Learn what’s available.

    • Abraham Lincoln was an early Trustee of the College, and U.S. Secretary of State John Hay was a Carthage alum. The two still have a proud place on our campus. Spend some time with them in our Sesquicentennial Plaza. On warm days you’ll find professors leading their classes here.

    • Come to Carthage; hear yourself think — think … think …
      Legend has it that Sesquicentennial Plaza holds a perfect echo. Just stand with both your feet on the “1847,” face Straz, and start talking. “You’re the only one who can hear you, but you’ll be crystal clear,” promises English and theatre alumna Mikaley Osley.

    • Our Great Lake provides Carthage students with some amazing views. Think classes on the beach, lake views from the lab, and sunrises from your dorm room. “I love waking up in the morning with the sun shining off the lake. Nothing compares to the view in the morning,” recalls biology and neuroscience major Ann O’Leary.

    • Carthage awards up to 35 Presidential Scholarships each year, which range from $20,000 up to full tuition. Learn more.

    • For a full decade, NASA has selected Carthage students to conduct research aboard its zero-gravity aircraft. Lately, the stakes have risen. A team of underclassmen is grinding to prepare a tiny but powerful Earth-imaging satellite for launch to the International Space Station. Learn more about the space sciences at Carthage

    • Carthage is the only college or university in the Midwest where every freshman takes a full-year sequence of foundational texts of the Western intellectual tradition. Learn about the Carthage core.

    • With a student-faculty ratio of 12:1, your professors will know who you are. They will also know who you want to be — and how to get you there. Meet our faculty.

    • There are more than 130 student organizations on campus, from Amnesty International to Fencing to Frisbee, Chem Club to Stand Up Comedy. See how easy it is to get involved.

    • True story: There are more than 27 art galleries, a dozen museums, and nine theatres within 25 miles of Carthage. Some highlights: The nationally recognized Racine Art Museum, the world-renowned Art Institute of Chicago, and the Milwaukee Art Museum. Learn more about our location.

    • What’s better than one professor? Two professors. What’s better than two professors? Two professors from totally different fields teaching a single class. There’s debate. Discussion. Differing perspectives. This is where the magic happens. That’s why every student takes a Carthage Symposium.

    • You can’t hide here — not with only 17 other students in the classroom with you. That’s going to be rough some mornings. But later, when you’re able to argue your point of view thoughtfully, express your opinions succinctly, and meet challenges head-on, without fear … Yep, you’ll thank us.

    • Carthage is ranked No. 3 in the country for student participation in short-term study abroad. Every J-Term, hundreds of students travel all over the world on faculty-led study tours. Imagine a month in Sweden, Rome, Cuba, Senegal, India, Japan …