As you begin your first year at Carthage, you are going to have questions. While there are many resources on campus to support you, sometimes you just want advice from someone who has been there. That’s where a peer coach can help.
Every section of College Success Seminar for first-time freshmen has a peer coach assigned to their class. Peer coaches are sophomores, juniors, or seniors who can help you:
- Understand day-to-day academic procedures and college life scenarios
- Get involved in campus activities and student organizations
- Make the most of a wide variety of campus resources and services
- Connect with Carthage faculty, staff, and other students
- Explore big questions about how to shape your college journey while sharing lessons from their own experiences
Interested in becoming a peer coach?
Peer Coaches at Carthage College are full-time undergraduate students who are assigned to a section of College Success Seminar for first-year students in order to assist with their academic and social transition to college and help them engage in the Carthage community. Peer Coaches help facilitate the class experience for the students and serve as an extra resource during students’ transition. The following responsibilities will be held by student volunteers serving in a Peer Coach role:
- Serve as one of two/three classroom assistants to the instructor for a designated College Success Seminar section. Lead class lectures, demonstrations, and activities as assigned.
- Coordinate one unique out-of-class activity/outing during the first seven weeks in which first-year students may participate. Document and submit attendance to your designated College Success Seminar instructor.
- Participate in a Spring 2020 Peer Coach training session led by staff in the Center for Student Success on the following date: 10:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday, April 18. A make-up day MAY be added for those students that are unable to make this training due to other engagements.
- Participate in Fall 2020 Peer Coach training sessions led by staff in the Center for Student Success on the following date(s): TBD.
- Meet and communicate with your designated College Success Seminar instructor to plan course activities and assignments as needed.
- Complete a Peer Coach program evaluation upon completion of College Success Seminar.
Volunteers for the Peer Coaching program must be full-time undergraduate students with a 2.25 minimum cumulative GPA. We seek a team of coaches who reflect good standing with student conduct and represent the diversity of the Carthage community.
Applications are no longer being accepted.