Students with specific learning disabilities can seek accommodations in modern language. The students may be allowed to replace modern language courses with alternative courses. This is an updated list of courses to be accepted as alternatives to the Modern Language requirement. Students will have to complete one course from each list or two courses from the “Cultural” list (two courses from the “Communication” list will not be accepted as fulfilling the ML requirement).
- ART 1700: Intro to Art History
- ART 3730: Masterpieces of Asian Art and Architecture
- MUS 1150: Exploring Music
- ML 200*: Topics in Language and Culture in Translation
- ML 3060: East Asian Civilization and Culture
- ML 1010: Modern Literature in Translation
- HIS 1200: Issues in Asian History
- HIS 1400: Dictatorship and Democracy
- HIS 3400: Modern China
- HIS 3450: Modern Japan
- POL 3390: Asian Politics
- SOC 1020: Cultural Anthropology
- GEO/SOC 2100: The Human Landscape
- SOC 2530: Racial and Cultural Minorities
- J-Term courses with the approval of the Chair of the Modern Language Department
- CDM 1200: Public Speaking
- THR 1150: Introduction to Theatre
- THR 2010: Oral Interpretation of Literature
- J-Term courses with the approval of the Chair of the Modern Languages Department.
- ASL: American Sign Language (presently not offered here, but accepted only if the student has a certificate as a qualified signer).