Where can I recycle?
All residence halls and academic buildings on campus have single-stream recycling stations on every floor. These recycling stations are located in the lounges in residence halls, and in high-traffic areas in campus buildings. These recycling stations accept plastic, glass, cans and paper/newspaper. They are emptied on a regular schedule. Learn more about what you can recycle.
Do I need to sort my recyclables?
No. Single-stream recycling is easy to do, and no sorting is needed. Single-stream recycling means all recyclables are combined in one recycling dumpster before leaving campus. Waste Management empties these dumpsters daily, taking Carthage’s recyclables to an off-campus facility, where they are sorted more thoroughly.
I see Environmental Services collect and transport recyclables that are in green bags and then put clear bags of trash together in the same transport cart. Does this mean they are throwing it away?
No. Environmental Services staff collect green recyclable bagged items and clear bagged items together in the same transport cart. Recyclables are put into yellow lid containers and trash is put into trash bins or compactors.
Can I recycle batteries?
Yes. There is a five-gallon pail in each residence hall for small batteries, like those used in cell phones, cameras, flashlights, etc. These pails are collected and taken to Maintenance, where Batteries Plus picks them up. Hedberg Library also collects batteries for recycling.
Please note: Car batteries should not be placed in these buckets. Car batteries should be taken to the Maintenance Department for recycling.
Can I recycle ink cartridges and light bulbs?
Yes. Hedberg Library collects ink cartridges for recycling. Light bulbs are recycled through the Maintenance Department.
What about old refrigerators and computers?
The Carthage Maintenance Department recycles refrigerant from small refrigerators in residence hall rooms. Students who have a broken refrigerator should contact the Maintenance Department.
Carthage recycles old computers, monitors and keyboards. These items can be taken to Lentz Hall garage, by the mail room, or Hedberg Library loading dock. Or contact the Maintenance Department.
Are these items recyclable in my curbside mixed recycling program?
- Plastic bottle caps/lids: Yes. After the bottles are empty, plastic caps should be placed back on bottles.
- Plastic bags: No. Do not put loose plastic bags or bagged recyclables into cart.
- Plastic film: No
- Clamshell Packaging: No
- Plastic eatery including utensils, plates, and cups: No
- Chip bags, nutritional bar, or candy wrappers: No
- Cartons: Varies by jurisdiction. Juice boxes (no pouches), milk and juice cartons (emptied and rinsed, no pouches or straws) are recyclable in some areas.
- Pizza boxes (without food or paper liners/doilies): Yes
- Single serve hot beverage cups: No
- Napkins, paper towers, tissues: No
- Shredded paper: No
- Paper cups and plates: No
- Glass bottles and jars: Varies by jurisdiction
- Aerosol cans: Varies by jurisdiction