Constructed in 2001, the 156,000-square-foot N. E. Tarble Athletic and Recreation Center is a first-class fitness facility. The facility includes:
- A 5,000-square-foot fitness center
- An indoor rock-climbing wall
- A 200-meter indoor track
- A 40-meter, 16-lane swimming pool
- Baseball practice area
- Racquetball courts
- Multi-purpose courts for basketball, volleyball and tennis
Known as the “TARC” even before its official opening, this remarkable facility was the gift of Mrs. Pat Tarble in honor of her late husband, Newton E. Tarble. In 1920, Mr. Tarble was a founder of the Snap-on Wrench Co., and subsequently, was a successful businessman and philanthropist for many years in Los Angeles.
Mrs. Tarble helped the College launch this project in 1998 by providing the largest gift the College had received at that point in its history. Her act perpetuates the Tarbles’ generosity to Carthage, which extends across a quarter century.
The TARC represents the College’s philosophical commitment to the health and wellness of the entire Carthage community, helping cultivate “sound minds in sound bodies.”