The mission of the Teaching Commons is to support the instrumental role of the faculty in establishing a vibrant intellectual culture essential to the mission of the College.
To accomplish its mission, the Teaching Commons provides a number of programs and services, available to both part-time and full-time faculty at Carthage.
Programming for a Community of Practice
The Teaching Commons provides a coordinated set of activities informed by the interests of the individual faculty member and of the larger community. The Commons provides a space where faculty can share ideas and expertise, reflect upon our vocation as teacher-scholars, and deepen our collective understanding of the intellectual growth of both student and teacher. The Commons strives to support faculty throughout their careers, recognizing the needs and interests of individual teacher-scholars change over time.
- Carthage Learning Communities
- Conversations about Teaching and Learning
- Teaching Practice Sessions
- Reading Groups
- Support for Part-Time Faculty
- Teaching and Learning Conference
- Learn more about the programs put on by the Teaching Commons
- See a schedule or programs for the current semester
- Share your ideas for Teaching Commons programming
Supporting Excellence in Teaching
Promoting and supporting excellence in teaching is a primary aim of the Teaching Commons, which provides a range of opportunities for faculty to reflect and advance their teaching practices.
- Course Design Workshops
- Individual Teaching Consultations
- Distinguished Teaching Award
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning