As a Yellow Ribbon institution, Carthage welcomes veterans to study in our undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. Whether attending full-time or part-time, during the day or in the evening, you will receive the support needed to start, change, or advance your career. Carthage understands your unique needs as a veteran and an adult student. We are committed to help you achieve your personal and professional goals.
Support and Services
- At Carthage, every student has a dedicated advisor who offers direction and assistance with admissions, advising, and registering for classes.
- Learning Accessibility Services supports veterans with disabilities to ensure they have appropriate academic accommodations throughout their Carthage experience.
- The Health and Counseling Center is available to help veterans adapt to life as students.
- The Brainard Writing Center is available to hone your writing skills.
- The Aspire Center provides assistance in writing resumes, making career choices, and fostering interview skills throughout your college career and beyond.
- National Veterans Crisis Line, 800-273-8255
- PsychArmor Institute, psycharmor.org
- My Next Move, mynextmove.org/vets
Financial resources for veterans are substantial and make attending Carthage highly affordable. Many veterans receive educational benefits that cover the entire cost of tuition, and some veterans receive partial tuition benefits and subsidize the remaining cost with federal aid. In addition, Carthage offers competitive, need-based scholarships.
- Contact your veteran representative to determine eligibility for education benefits.
- Contact Carthage’s Office of Student Financial Planning for assistance: 262-551-6001 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- File the FAFSA every year to maximize need-based federal aid benefits.
Scholarship Opportunities for Veterans
Veteran students wishing to learn more about continuing their education after graduating from Carthage can read more about graduate school scholarship opportunities for veterans.
Carthage is known for its personalized education environment where the average class size is just 17 students. Choose from more than 50 majors and special programs at the undergraduate level. Carthage also offers graduate degrees in education and social work. Instructors often provide personal contact information, allowing you to continue your educational experience beyond the classroom setting. Veterans may enroll in 14-week daytime classes or 7-week evening classes, whichever format is more convenient.
As a veteran, you may integrate fully into Carthage’s rich student life on campus. You might find yourself as a member of any one of the 130 social and professional student organizations, or as a member of an intramural sports team. If you are a full-time student, you may participate in one of Carthage’s 24 NCAA Division III athletic teams.
Veterans have full access to Carthage’s outstanding facilities, which have seen $200 million of investment in recent years.
Campbell Student Union
Opened in 2011, it houses the campus bookstore, four convenient dining options, a student lounge, and a movie theater.
N. E. Tarble Athletic and Recreational Center
This athletic facility includes a performance arena, a baseball/ softball complex, a college competition-size swimming pool, a weight room, an indoor track, and a golf simulator. A significant number of Family Fun Nights are held here, so you may enjoy this facility with your family and friends.
This high-tech research facility contains the Writing Center, Tutoring Center, a coffee shop, and hundreds of thousands of print and online resources.
A new $43 million Science Center opened in fall 2015; the center substantially enhances the sciences at Carthage.
Veterans Administration Certifying Official and Student Accounts Specialist
The Veterans Administration Certifying Official is located in the Registrar’s Office, Lentz Hall 431. Continuing students who have received benefits previously can make inquiries regarding enrollment certification by calling 262-551-6100.
The Student Accounts Specialist is located in Lentz Hall 426. Students with billing issues and other funding concerns may contact the office by calling 262-551-6652.
New students who wish to start receiving benefits can go online to www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/. Once the application is complete, please bring an official letter of eligibility to the Registrar’s Office. Students may also turn in DD214 forms to the Registrar’s Office for transfer credit review.
VA Certifying Official
Student Accounts Specialist
“Getting started at Carthage was simple, from registration to receiving G.I. benefits. I was relieved at every step to find them so easy.” — Jason Mosher